.

Kitchen Fire Leaves about $10,000 in Damage

A homeowner on Haven Street accidentally sparked a kitchen fire when cooking oil overheated. The Milford Fire Department estimates it left $10,000 in fire and smoke damage.

Overheated cooking oil in a pan, which sparked into flames, is blamed as the cause of a kitchen fire that left $10,000 in damage to a house at 47 Haven St. in Milford Thursday night, according to the Fire Department.

No one was injured.

Lt. Michael Ballou of the said the homeowner had been cooking, and when the fire sparked up, attempted to extinguish it by putting a lid over the pan. When that didn't work, she moved the pan to the sink, and the flames caught the curtains, then spread to items on the counter, the lower cabinets and a rug.

The woman ran to a neighbor's house to call the Fire Department. 

The fire was reported shortly before 6 p.m. Personnel from both stations in Milford responded. When firefighters arrived, smoke was visible from the back of the house, Ballou said. The fire was out and fire officials left within 40 minutes.

apbinfo May 21, 2011 at 06:12 PM
Get connected - When it comes to your property, can you see what to expect in case of loss, e.g., hurricane, tornado, earthquake, flood, fire? If you are like most of the insuring public you draw a blank on that question. The next question is when will you preempt the course setting? www.DisasterPrepared.net

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »