A fire in a shared entrance hallway at an apartment house on School Street is being investigated by police and fire officials.
Fire Chief John Touhey said the small fire was of undetermined cause. It was reported by an occupant of the building, after it set off smoke alarms.
The structure, at 83 School St., is three stories, with an apartment on each floor. The occupants of the first floor were not at home at the time, Touhey said.
The fire was reported about 10:30 p.m. The other occupants were back in their apartments by 11:30 p.m.