Officers from the Milford Police Department have arrested a man they say broke into businesses, homes and cars throughout the area.
Ryan A. McClay, 20, of 7 Meserve St., Hopkinton, was arrested in Hopkinton in the early morning hours after leading police on a chase into the neighboring town.
The arrest came after police found several businesses had been broken into in the early morning hours for the second time this week.
A woman called the department in the early morning hours Wednesday when she witnessed a man, later identified as McClay, come from behind Peter's Market before running on to Fountain Street.
Officers responded to the area, where they witnessed McClay running to and getting into his vehicle.
According to police reports, McClay nearly hit one officer, who was standing on the sidewalk, before he led them on a chase into Hopkinton.
The pursuit ended when McClay crashed the vehicle he was driving on Mayhew Street, a short distance from his home.
McClay then took off on foot but with assistance from the Hopkinton Police Department, officers were able catch him and place him under arrest, according to a press release.
Police say that once they returned him to the station, McClay admitted to detectives that he had committed numerous break-ins in Milford and other area towns including break-ins to businesses in Framingham, Ashland and Holliston; a home break-in in Natick and stealing a car in Hopkinton.
In Milford, McClay faces the following 51 charges:
- 8 Counts of Breaking and Entering into a Building for a Felony
- 18 Counts of Breaking and Entering into a Motor Vehicle
- 7 Counts of Larceny Over $250
- 8 Counts of Malicious Destruction of Property
- 1 Count of Assault with a Dangerous Weapon
- 1 Count of Use of a Motor Vehicle in the Commission of a Felony
- 1 Count of Reckless Operation of a Motor Vehicle
- 1 Count of Marked Lanes Violation
- 1 Count of Use of a Motor Vehicle without Authority
- 1 Count of Speeding
- 1 Count of Failure to Stop for Police
- 1 Count of Failure to Stop for a Red Light
- 1 Count of Unlicensed Operation of a Motor Vehicle
- 1 Count for an Arrest Warrant
McClay will be arraigned Thursday in Milford District Court.
Other towns have not yet released information regarding charges.