Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. Black Friday kicked off in , at large retailers including Target and Best Buy. The day marks the start of the Christmas shopping season, and has importance beyond one day: economists often track the results as a sign of consumer confidence.
2. Following Black Friday, we have Small Business Saturday, a national campaign to encourage people to patronize small, locally owned shops. Milford has many of these independent stores, who hope to capture additional Christmas sales by reminding people that local retailers help support the community because they're part of it.
3. If you are not inclined to shop on Friday, wait until Saturday, when you can hit two crafts fairs. and School both will host Christmas craft fairs.
4. If shopping is not your desire at all, you may instead! The American Red Cross is always in need of donors. World Gym is hosting a blood drive Friday.
5. is open for business Friday. But the holiday for schools stretches on through the weekend.