Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. The Milford School Committee meets at 7 p.m. Thursday night, and the agenda includes discussion of security procedures at the schools, goals for the superintendent, and an update on the French language program, at Stacy Middle School.
2. The 6th annual Taste of the Town is Thursday, beginning at 6 p.m., at the Portuguese Club. The event will include samples from 18 restaurants in Milford and surrounding towns. The fee of $30, at the door, will go to the Milford Regional Medical Center building program.
3. The experiences of a southern town in accommodating new forms of diversity, including Somalian immigrants, is the subject of a documentary, Welcome to Shelbyville, that will be shown at 7 p.m. Thursday at Milford Town Library. The event is free of charge and will include a post-screening discussion among viewers.
4. The first debate between U.S. Sen. Scott Brown (R-Wrentham), and Democratic challenger Elizabeth Warren is set to begin at 7 p.m. Thursday on WBZ-Boston.
5. The last picture show: this weekend is the final weekend for the summer for the Mendon Drive-in.