Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. The 4th Annual Greater Milford CROP Walk for Hunger will take place on Saturday, Oct. 27. Walkers are welcome to join in. And donations are also being accepted. In the past three years, this local effort has raised almost $20,000 for the hungry worldwide, and in Milford. One-quarter of the proceeds were directed to the Milford Daily Bread Food Pantry and other local food programs. This year, the funds will go to support the Salvation Army's food bank and the Meals on Wheels program. The 10K walk (6.2 miles) begins at Draper Memorial Park at 10 a.m.; sign-in is at 9 a.m. for walkers.
2. Ever wonder about the history of Caterpillar? Milton Cat is one of Milford's largest corporate employers. CNBC on Monday took a closer look at the company on its Ultimate Factories show. Caterpillar got its start in California as a tractor company.
3. Rivera Athletic Center recently moved from Medway Road to a new location at 132 Central St., in space in the Milford Sports Center building. Rivera Athletic Center, led by boxer and martial artist Jorge Rivera, is open seven days a week, and will hold a grand opening on Oct. 20.
4. What question would you have the Presidential candidates answer? Now's your chance.
5. will be on Saturday at Fino Field. The cost is $15. Compassion New England runs several programs, including literacy and GED education programs.