Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. The Milford Youth Center, which provides supervised activities for kids in town in elementary, middle and into high school, is hosting a party on Friday, Oct. 26 with a theme every kid will love: Haunted Halloween. The dance will include a DJ, a costume contest and pumpkin painting. Proceeds from the $3 entry fee will go to purchase turkeys for Thanksgiving for needy families. Volunteers are needed to help the center staff monitor the dance. If you can volunteer, contact Jen Ward at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Are you handy with a camera? Do you have a good eye? Dozens of readers with the winning photo taken by an amateur photographer of the Connecticut River. Try your hand at it this week, and win a $25 gift card if your photo is chosen as the week's best. This week's category is pumpkins.
3. Teens who are interested in fashion design might be interested in a program at Maria Sews a Lot: "Introduction to Fashion Design for Teens" starts on Thursday after-school. The four-class program will cover the difference between a fashion line and a collection and allow students to create concept boards. See the event listing for more information.
4. A fun event is coming up on Saturday, for a good cause: Parents for Music will hold a with Superintendent Robert Tremblay as emcee. The entry fee is $10, with snacks provided. (and a cash bar)
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. Do you have some extra, or unloved, board games sitting on a shelf? The Young Adult Room at Milford Town Library could use some new games for kids who participate in its programs. Drop them off anytime.