Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. Both candidates for the Fourth Congressional District seat will be in the Milford area today. Joseph Kennedy III, the Democratic candidate, will tour the Draper Mill complex in Hopedale this morning, and talk to local officials about plans to restart railroad operations into the area. Republican candidate Sean Bielat will host a at the Milford Town Library. That event starts at 6:30 p.m.
2. The Friends of the Milford Upper Charles Trail will meet Tuesday, and will consider topics including the annual Fall Clean-up (volunteers will be needed!) and trail maintenance. The meeting is at 7 p.m. at the Milford Senior Center.
3. Speaking of the annual Fall Clean-up for the trail, it's scheduled from 9 a.m. to noon on Oct. 27, with a rain date of Nov. 3.
4. Do you have a beloved pet who needs a blessing? St. Mary's of the Assumption will hold its annual Blessing of the Animals event on Sunday afternoon, weather permitting. All animals must be leashed, or properly restrained.
5. Halloween is just around the corner, and Milford residents are getting into the spirit of the holiday, with pumpkins and witches appearing daily on doorsteps. If you have a fun Halloween picture you want to share, upload it to our community gallery, Milford Pics and Clips.