Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. The one-mile Little Engine That Could Historic Walk will be dedicated on Friday with a brisk walk through Milford. We spotted Highway Department crews on Thursday putting a stamp into a paver outside Milford Town Hall, which will help guide walkers in the future. The walkers step off at 10 a.m. from Milford Town Hall.
2. Milford Regional Medical Center raised $600,000 at the recent Cirque du Melange event, for a new intensive care unit. The event was held at EMC in Hopkinton and featured an aerialist, jugglers and fire spinners. Four-hundred attended.
3. Two men charged in a home invasion robbery of a newlywed couple at Rolling Green Apartments will remain jailed at least until Monday, when a "dangerousness hearing" will be held at Milford District Court. The hearing, to determine if bail should be established, was rescheduled from Thursday. Richard D. Booker and Rashad J. Blount, of Middleborough and Boston, are charged with several felony offenses in the Sept. 29 robbery. They were appointed attorneys at an arraignment hearing Oct. 25.
4. Milford's Panera Bread has enlarged its dining room, in a renovation completed in the last week or so. The expansion moves the dining room into a former conference room space.
5. The Milford Play Initiative is seeking board members to help with the completion of a new playground at Fino Field. The initiative is looking for support form local community members who have an interest in getting the project completed and being involved in the research of grant funds. The next play intiative meeting is 1 p.m. Nov. 19. For information on getting involved, email Amy Leone at firstname.lastname@example.org or Tamara Palmer at email@example.com.