Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. will be held at 9 a.m. Sunday at the Milford Police Department. The event, open to the public, remembers the sacrifice of these officers. Across the country, police deaths have risen sharply in recent years, according to data from the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund. The organization reported 173 federal, state and local officers had been killed on the job in 2011, 13 percent more than the previous year, and 42 percent more than 2009.
2. Surprising as it may seem, the year is drawing to a close for . Thursday is the final day for their regular classes. They begin taking their final exams Friday. Graduation is June 3.
3. Interested in networking? A three-chamber Business After Hours "Mega Mixer" will begin at 5 p.m. Thursday, at the Comcast Center in Mansfield. The fee for is just $10; it's $25 for non=members.
4. If you see several hundred runners making their way through town, along Beaver Street, wish them well. will wind through a portion of Milford Friday night into Saturday morning. The beach that's the destination? Horseneck Beach. The fastest runners are expected to arrive on Beaver Street, near , about 8 p.m. Friday.
5. Ready to get into shape? for the early morning hours, twice a week this summer. (and a beginner yoga class, too.) The "Boot Camp" is a fun, challenging workout designed to make your body stronger by adapting to new routines. It will be conducted by staff at