Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. Fino Field's pool will open soon, so time to think about registration for the Milford Rotary club's annual RED CROSS swim program will be held on July 7 from 9 a.m. to noon, at the The fee for the lessons will be $25 per child and/or $60 per family. All students must be registered for Kindergarten, as of September 2012, or older.
2. The Milford School Committee meets Thursday, and the agenda includes discussion of a proposed increase in the school lunch prices. The meeting begins at 7 p.m. at Milford High School.
3. Two students have been awarded the 2012 Saint Michael's College Book Award for Academic Achievement with a Social Conscience: Samantha Lathrop and Eric Miller. The awards were made by St. Michael's College in Colchester, VT.
4. is participating in the Kids Bowl Free Program, designed by bowling centers to give back to the community and provide a safe, secure, and fun way for kids to spend time this summer. Children whose age does not exceed a limit by a participating bowling center are eligible to register for two free games a day, all summer long. PiNZ invites kids to the center between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. daily to be a part of the summer program.
5. Thursday will be another hot day for Milford, with a high expected of 96 degrees. Don't forget to bring a water bottle with you and stay hydrated.