Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. Blood donations always slow during the summer, but this year the donations have really dropped off, possibly due to the warmer than expected spring, and donors taking summer vacations. The American Red Cross is in critical need of blood donations, especially if you have O negative, O positive, B negative or A negative type blood. Make an appointment today, or stop by on Friday, where a blood drive is scheduled.
2. is hosting a clothing collection drive for young people, to get them prepared for school. What is most needed: clothing for boys and girls (size 5/6 - 18/20), shoes, coats, socks and underwear. Donations are coordinated by the nonprofit Cradles to Crayons and will be accepted through Aug. 10.
3. Right now, according to Milford Patch readers, it's a contest between and The first: one of the oldest bars in Milford, but under new ownership. The latter: a new chain restaurant in town with a national reputation. Which one would you go to?
4. New England Cable Network will host a live debate Monday featuring three candidates for the Republican primary for the Fourth Congressional District in Massachusetts. , Elizabeth Childs of Brookline, and David Steinhof of Fall River have signed on to participate. The debate starts at 6 p.m.
5. A community program that serves a meal each month to individuals in need needs a creative cook. This volunteer will plan and prepare a meal for 30 people. The meal is served on the fourth Sunday of every month at First Unitarian Universalist Church.
Keep up with all the news and events in Milford by subscribing to the Milford Patch newsletter.