Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. The Milford Area Relay for Life is gearing up for 2013 and needs some organizing help. This overnight event, held locally at is the major financial contributor to several cancer organizations. The local relay effort needs some organizer-volunteers and will hold an open house this month to recruit teams.
2. Imperial Municipal Partners has received a site plan change that will allow the vehicle sales business to expand its inventory on to an adjoining lot. The business previously had approval for only a portion of its property. Imperial Municipal sells police vehicles and equipment to local governments in Massachusetts.
3. Nikki Colecchi has received permission from the Milford Planning Board to move her barber shop business to a renovated space at 22 Chapin St. The special permit was authorized Tuesday. Colecchi owns Nik's Barber Shop on Main Street.
4. Milford Regional Medical Center is preparing to offer bariatric surgery this year. An information session on the surgery is scheduled for Thursday night for people who may be interested in it as a weight-loss option.
5. The 5th annual "Dressed Up, Not Messed Up" teen fashion show is being organized at the Milford Youth Center. An information meeting is planned on Jan. 23 to explain the program to parents and teen participants, and sign up for hair and outfit appointments. See the announcement for more information.