Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. A Bellingham woman has applied for a town license to open a frozen yogurt shop on East Main Street. Yum Yum Froyo would be located at 196 E. Main St., if Milford Selectmen approve a license for the business.
2. A selection committee has recommended Milford hire Russo & Bar Associates as consultant and engineer for the roof replacement at the Milford Police Department. The Milford Selectmen will consider the request Monday.
3. An update from the town's Building Commissioner indicates that of 184 triple-family dwellings in Milford, 123 have submitted applications for a certificate of inspection. About half have been inspected so far. The most common violation: a lack of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, which are required in all houses and apartments, regardless of construction date.
4. will host "Read and Sing" on Mondays, beginning at 10:30 a.m. iside the First United Methodist Church. This is a free hour of stories, songs and crafts for children aged 2 to 5, with a parent.
5. Today is the deadline for filing a photo to the "winter photos" contest on Patch. Editors will select one winning photo, which means a $25 gift certificate for the winning photographer.