Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. National Grid has removed 36 double-poles from Milford since July, when Milford Selectmen and other town officials pressed for them to be taken down, as a safety and visual blight concern. But town officials say they still want the issue addressed. Double poles are poles brought in to support a damaged pole, but then not removed. Milford still has about 150.
2. Rivera Athletic Center will offer as part of its grand opening celebration. The gym on Central Street is run by boxer Jorge Rivera.
3. Who says January isn't a good time for ice cream? The "Cones for Kids" promotion for the Easter Seals will be at Friendy's Ice Cream over the next month. Anyone who makes a donation of $1 to the Easter Seals campaign will receive five valentines, each worth a free kids' cone.
4. The town's Capital Improvement Committee will meet Monday at 7 p.m. at as it begins to review budget requests for the upcoming fiscal year.
5. If your New Year's resolutions have already become a burden, hang on for a few more days. Thursday is "National Ditch New Years Resolutions Day" and its meaning is self-explanatory. The origin of the unofficial holiday is uncertain, according to the website holidayinsights.com.