Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. The Massachusetts Gaming Commission, which is reviewing all applications for casino and slots parlor licenses in Massachusetts, has a new website with new features, including more visible displays of current topics before the commission. The commission meets on Thursday, and will continue discussion of the application deadlines, reviews of applications, and definition of "surrounding communities."
2. Looking for a way to exercise inside, but don't want to join a gym? The Milford Youth Center is now be open for adult open gym on Wednesday nights. Basketball and volleyball is available from 7:30 to 9 p.m. Participants will be charged either $35 if you are a town resident or $45 if you are out of town. This one-time fee will cover the Wednesday night open gym through April 24.
3. The Milford High School Boys Varsity Basketball team will begin its playoffs Thursday, at 7 p.m., at Milford High School. The team, now in the Hockomock League, ended their regular season with a 17-3 record.
4. The Milford High Varsity Hockey team also begins its playoffs Thursay, in a game against North Attleboro at Aleixo Arena in Taunton. The start is 8 p.m.
5. Looking for a local 5K in the next month? Registration is now underway for the Medway Elementary Parent Teacher Organization (MEPTO) second annual Shamrock Shuffle 5K Run. The March 16 race starts at 9 a.m. at Medway High School.