Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. The third time will not be the charm for Sean Bielat. Bielat has decided to not run for the U.S. Senate seat left open by the confirmation of John Kerry as Secretary of State. Bielat has twice before run for Congress, most recently in November, against now-Rep. Joseph Kennedy III. Bielat, a Norfolk Republican, said while he thought he could run a strong campaign, the timing wasn't right this time, according to an Associated Press report.
2. Snow is expected this weekend, but don't let that stop you from enjoying National Banana Bread day on Saturday. (who knew?) Whole Foods Market in Bellingham will celebrate this most important day from 2 to 4 p.m. with a taste test event, featuring various types of banana bread, the ultimate comfort food.
3. Are you the type who signed up for a corporate baseball team, played once or twice, then retired? Well, now is your chance to clear out the closet and donate to a deserving organization. "Un-wanted" baseball items are in fact wanted. Pitch in for Baseball is collecting them and is willing to reach out to Milford. See the announcement posted here for more information.
4. All things sea and seafood is the theme of an event at Milford's Memorial Hall arranged by Chabad House. The event begins at 3 p.m. Sunday and includes a seafood (and other options) banquet, games and activites for kids and sea-themed costume contests for children and adults.
5. Forget the groundhog. One of the sure signs of spring is the now scheduled for 6 to 9 p.m. March 7. Several vendors will be onhand, offering samples, and the gift merchandise is 25 percent off.