Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. will be held Saturday night, a rescheduled time due to the Blizzard of 2013. The show will be at the Milford Youth Center, and will feature teens and preteens modeling fashion choices from TJ Maxx.
2. Milford Police Chief Thomas O'Loughlin is asking the town's Personnel Board to create a new title of police employee, "student officer," which would cover new hires who are attending the police academy. The position would pay 10 percent less than a regular police officer position at first step. Full-time officers now earn $24.37 an hour. The student officer would be paid $21.93 an hour. On completing the police academy, they would move up to the regular officer scale.
3. Water aerobics is being offered at Milford High School's pool two nights a week, for just $5 a visit. The program is from 6:15 to 7:15 pm on Monday and Wednesday nights. In chest-deep water, instructors lead participants through a series of exercises that are similar to walking, jogging and cross-country skiing. No experience or swimming skills are needed. All exercises take place in the shallow end of the pool.
4. Two Milford Girl Scouts, Kelsey Anderson and Emma Ryan, have organized an event that will help the cats and kittens waiting for homes at the Milford Humane Society. Join their effort to create fleece blankets for the cats on March 2.
5. Speaking of Girl Scouts, the cookie sales are all around us. If you want to pick up a few boxes for the weekend, here's where to find the cookies.