Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. Kate Mastroianni has been appointed to fill a vacancy on the Milford Board of Library Trustees, left by the recent resignation of Victor Valenti. The trustee board voted to fill the opening Monday.
2. The Milford Association of Clerical Employees recently voted to become members of the Laborers' International Union of North America. In a letter to selectmen, MACE President Barbara Rummo said "we believe it is in our best interest at this time to be associated with a larger and more powerful union."
3. Eleven restaurants and bars have received town permission to stay open late for serving on New Year's Eve. They are: the Alamo, Caffe Sorrento, Doc's Sports Bar, Doubletree Hotel, PiNZ, Marchegiano Club, Portuguese Club, Richard's Food and Drink, TGI Friday's and Truffle's Grille & Wine Bar.
4. UniBank will be collecting canned goods and non-perishable food items at its Milford location, for distribution by the Milford Daily Bread Food Pantry.
5. A groundbreaking ceremony will be held Thursday to note the beginning of construction of The project is taking shape at Birch Street and Route 109.