Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. The Samaritans is a non-profit that operates a help line reaching out to people feeling suicidal, and it is recruiting volunteers. About 400 people die each year in Massachusetts due to suicide, stemming from reasons including depression. The Samaritans operate a call center in Framingham and will hold a training session in February. See the announcement for more information.
2. Monday is New Year's Eve, and like all fun places, Milford Town Hall will be open. But it will be closing early, at 1 p.m., as will the Milford Senior Center.
3. Tuesday is the New Year's Day holiday, and all state, federal and local government offices will be closed.
4. Garbage pickup will be collected as usual on Monday in Milford, but will not be collected on Tuesday, the New Year's Day holiday. For the rest of the week, trash will be collected a day behind schedule.
5. Transfer station hours, beginning in January, are 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. on Saturdays and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sundays.