Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. Here's a fun, unique volunteer job that involves football: needs volunteers to work on the "chain gang," the three people who work each game to place the down markers on the field. One person is needed for the marker, and two for the chains, for each of the seven home games. If you are interested, contact Athletic Director Richard Piergustavo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. A sobriety checkpoint will be held on a Worcester County road on Sept. 8 into Sept. 9, the State Police announced.
3. What recession? Local companies and individuals helped make the 23rd annual Milford Regional Golf Classic a record-breaker for fundraising. The event raised nearly $300,000 on Aug. 27 for Emergency Services at the medical center, and the Oliva Fund for Cancer Care. Sponsors included , Orion Emergency Services and . For information on the 2013 event, please call 508-422-2034 or visit www.milfordregional.org/golf.
4. The end of summer doesn't have to mean the end of swimming. Open Swim at the will begin Sept. 4, and will be available from 5:45 to 7:15 a.m. on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays. Open Swim and Lap Swim times are also available during the evening — times vary each day, so please visit the Milford Community School Use website at www.mcs.milford.ma.us/poolschedule for the daily schedule. The fee is $2 for Milford residents and $3 for non-residents per-swim.
5. Would you like to share a barber with the New England Patriots? Now you can. Terrence Manning, a hair stylist and owner of SoHo Hair Design in North Attleboro, announced Thursday that he will open his second salon, SoHo for Men in Mendon. The salon is located at 16 Uxbridge Rd. and will open Sept. 4. Manning will host an open house with several of the Patriots players on Sept. 10.