Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. Milford has 17,199 registered voters, as of the deadline Friday to register for the Sept. 6 state primary election, according to The number of registered voters has increased by 375 since the Presidential Primary election in March. The town has eight precincts. The precinct with the largest number of registered voters is Precinct 5 with 2,731.
2. Milford Public Schools will hold a district-wide open house on Thursday, from 9 a.m. to noon, with the exception of the Shining Star preschool. Teachers are not required to attend the open houses, but the schools will be open for parents to take a peek and speak to the principal. This includes Memorial and Brookside elementary schools, which also will have kindergarten socials Thursday.
3. will hold its annual Radiothon from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Aug. 27, with all proceeds to benefit the Oliva Family Fund for Cancer Care, which provides services such as transportation for cancer patients at
4. A meat raffle will be held at at 1 p.m. Sunday, with all proceeds directed to the Boston Marathon Jimmy Fund Walk. Buy some raffle tickets for a chance to win top quality meats. There will be food served to all supporters of the event and also additional raffles. If you have plans, but would like to donate, visit the TD link for the Jimmy Fund Walk.
5. Rehearsals for the holiday concert will begin Sept. 5. All practice sessions will be Wednesday nights at Memorial Hall. Openings exist for all voice sections, and especially male singers. No audition is required.