Update 11:30 p.m.: According to Milford Fire Lieutenant Vignone the fire was likely caused by static electricity while a member an employee was filling 30-pound tanks from a larger main tank.
"We were able to keep the main tank from exploding by keeping water on it and shutting off the propane," Vignone said.
The only injury resulting from the fire was the employee who was filling the tanks. He was treated for first degree burns on his nose and cheek.
The pallet used for moving the smaller propane containers held 16 tanks at the time of the fire. Several small explosions occurred prior to the fire department's arrival.
According to police at the scene the fire occured on a pallet of propane cylinders behind the business and began just before 8 a.m. Sunday morning.
Police officers have the area around the fire blocked off, but are saying that the fire is currently under control.
See More on Patch
- Police Log: Car Fire on I-495, Weekend Brush Fires
- Police Log: Parents Being Rough with Child, Man Disturbing Customers
- Police Log: Agitated Lacrosse Parents, Kids Playing in the Park After-Hours
- Police Log: Man Acting Strangely in the Cemetery, Arrests
- Police Log: Co-Worker Put Perfume in Coffee, Intoxicated People