5 Things You Need to Know Today: Sept. 19
Get moving this weekend and help the Milford Special Olympics Program with each step, by taking part in a fun, local 5K walk and run.
Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. Walkers and runners of every ability are encouraged to take part in the 8th annual Road Race & Walk Saturday, starting at Milford High School, to benefit the Milford Special Olympics Program. The event is sponsored by the Milford Community Use Program. Registration is available online.
2. As we head into the fall, and winter, make a note of this National Grid website. It allows customers to track whether their electrical outage has already been reported (or not).
3. Attention business owners and managers: the next social for the Greater Milford Business Alliance is from 5 to 6 p.m. Sept. 25 at Maria's Italian Villa Restaurant. The free event includes a cash bar and a discounted dinner menu. Please RSVP to Joe Soares at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Curious about the lives of the Amish? A speaking event and book signing will be at 7 p.m. Oct. 4 at Milford Town Library, featuring Saloma Miller Furlong, who was born and raised in an Amish community in Ohio. Seeking freedom and a more formal education, she left the community twice. "Why I Left the Amish" is her memoir about the first time she left.
5. The Harlem Wizards will perform at Milford High School's gymnasium on Oct. 15, competing against a home-grown team of Milford teachers, students and staff. All proceeds will benefit the Milford Junior Women's Club charitable programs. Advance tickets are $10 for students, $12 for adults, and available by calling 508-478-3735. Remaining tickets, if available, will be sold at the door at $12 for students and seniors, $14 for adults.