5 Things You Need to Know Today: Oct. 28
After a taste of winter Thursday, Friday should be cold and clear. The annual Pumpkin Stroll and Carving Contest, meanwhile, is Saturday.
Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. We had a slushy-cold, thundery Thursday night, but Friday will be crisp, sunny and mostly dry. Saturday brings another chance of snow. The next system to bring it will hit New England Saturday, but accumulations in Milford will be slight.
2. A Halloween costume parade will be held at the Milford Town Library on, well, Halloween. The event starts at 10:30 a.m. Registration is required, and children up to age 6 are invited. You may also register by phone 508-473-2145 ext. 216 or by sending us an e-mail.
3. Now through Nov. 10, you can help brighten a soldier's holiday overseas. The Milford Town Library is collecting donations of money and supplies for service people overseas. A list of most commonly requested and appreciated items is available on bright yellow paper at the donation table near the circulation desk. Popular items include batteries, game books, DVDs, lip balm, gum, nuts, eye drops, hard candy and cough drops.
4. A fun, free Halloween dance will be tonight at Milford Youth Center. The Find Yourself Friday event starts after-school, and runs until 6 p.m., and will feature music, dancing, raffles, special Halloween games, fun snacks, face and pumpkin painting and a movie.
5. On Saturday, the annual Milford Pumpkin Stroll and Pumpkin Carving Contest will be at Plains Park. The event is sponsored by WMRC Radio.