5 Things You Need to Know Today: March 21
Dave Pinto, a student at Norwich University, has received an athletic and an academic honor.
Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. The Milford Area Chamber of Commerce will hold its annual Home and Business Expo on Saturday. Along with dozens of businesses, the expo will feature the Easter Bunny. Admission is free. See the announcement for more details.
2. The Massachusetts Gaming Commission will travel from its Boston headquarters to Fall River this afternoon, for a meeting that will focus on gaming possibilities for the southeastern region of the state. The state is pursuing an agreement with the Mashpee Wampanoag tribe in that region. Milford is in the region that will compete with Boston area casino applications.
3. Dave Pinto, captain of the Norwich University Wrestling Team and graduate of Milford High School, was recently selected the 14th Scholar All-American in history of Norwich wrestling. This was based on his fourth place finish at the Northeast Regionals, his 3.4 GPA, and a 70 percent winning record.
4. Sen. Richard T. Moore (D-Uxbridge) announced that through April 16, AARP Foundation Tax-Aide will be available to help taxpayers with basic federal and state income tax returns. Middle and low-income taxpayers, with special attention to those 60 years and older, are eligible for the service. To find a site, access the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide locator at: www.aarp.org/applications/VMISLocator/searchTaxAideLocations.action.
5. Sick of winter weather? Imagine how people in Worcester must feel. The city had the most snow of any city with more than 100,000 people in the U.S. this past winter, according to the National Weather Service, as explained in this Boston Globe story.