Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. The Milford Boys Volleyball team Wednesday fell in its bid for the state championship, in five games, to Cambridge Rindge and Latin. The game was played at Babson College. Cambridge won the final set, 15-12, according to the Boston Herald.
2. The Milford High School Boosters Club could use some help with donated prizes for its Silent Auction and prizes for golfers in the 1st Annual Scarlet Hawks Charity Golf Classic. The event is June 28 at the Shining Rock Golf Club in Northbridge. Businesses or individuals who have sports tickets, scratch tickets, gift cards or other items that could be used in the silent auction can drop them off at Oliva's for Gina Tarolli, or at Milford Sports Center for Cheryl Shea.
3. Is your teen searching for a summer job? The economy has dried up many options. Fewer than 3 in 10 teens have a summer job, according to USA Today.
4. The Milford Girls Softball team will compete at 7 p.m. Saturday in the state finals for Division 1, against Malden. The game will be played at Worcester State University, where Milford this week defeated Agawam 13-0.
5. A reminder for drivers: if an emergency vehicle or a maintenance vehicle is stopped on the side of the road, move over to the next lane, or at least slow down, if moving is not possible. Violators can be fined up to $100.