5 Things You Need to Know Today: Jan. 7
Do you want to run for local office? Now is your chance.
Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. Beginning today, residents of Milford can pull nominating papers for local public office. The open seats include a spot on the Board of Selectmen, two seats on the School Committee and a five-year seat on the Planning Board. Stop by the Milford Town Clerk's office for more information.
2. Mike Santora, the 28-year town engineer, has announced he plans to retire as of June 17.
3. Milford has two new police officers: Antonio "Tony" Dinis and Paulo "Paul" Pinto will replace officers Michael Cappabianca and Angel Arce, who returned to the Worcester Police Department for reinstatement following a layoff. Both Dinis and Pinto live in Milford, worked for several years as emergency dispatchers for the town and are fluent in English, Spanish and Portuguese. Dinis most recently was a police officer with Framingham State University. Pinto most recently was an officer with Westborough Police.
4. Weight Watchers in Milford will celebrate its 50th anniversary Saturday with "One Amazing Day," a free introduction to its 365-day weight loss program that will include stories from local members. See the event listing for more information.
5. Have a great photo showing your kids together? Upload a photo to the contest for siblings by 6 p.m. Monday and you could win a $25 gift certificate.