5 Things: A Special State House Visit and a New Partnership
Also in 5 things, learn about our latest photo contest.
1. Sen. Richard T. Moore, D-Uxbridge, and Rep. John V. Fernandes, D-Milford, welcomed the 2012 Milford High School Girls' Softball Team to the State House in honor of their extra-inning win over Malden High School in the 2012 Massachusetts Division I State Championship. The victory capped an undefeated season and earned the squad distinction as the first softball team to win a state championship in Milford High history.
Team members include Taylor Archer, Giovanna Arcudi, Kayla Barys, Sam Bonvino, Carolyn Chaplin, Caroline Fairbanks, Katie Griswold, Lauren Hanna, Taylor Lebrun, Rachel Levine, Leah Murray, Allie Piergustavo, Lindsey Read, Shannon Smith, and Elizabeth Stallone. The team was led by Head Coach Brian Macchi and Assistant Coaches Jenna Macchi, Peter Macchi and Andrea Smith.
2. Every Wednesday, we kick off a nearly week-long photo contest that culminates with one lucky reader winning a $25 gift card. Today, we invite you to submit your photos of local landmarks. Think you have a breathtaking photo of Milford Town Hall, or the Irish Round Tower at St. Mary's Cemetery? Those are just two ideas for this week's contest, which runs until next Monday night. Upload your photos on the contest article by clicking here.
3. When Milford selectmen entered into a voluntary agreement with ICE over the summer, they said they hoped businesses would follow suit. One such business, Countryside Health, has done just that by partnering with the immigration enforcement agency to screen for undocumented workers.
4. A free program on cardiac arrhythmias will be held in the Physician’s Conference Center at Milford Regional Medical Center at 7 p.m. Nov. 26. Milford Regional and Hopedale Cardiology Dr. Akram Chaudry will discuss the types of arrhythmias, signs and symptoms and when to call your doctor. There is no cost to attend, but pre-registration is requested. To register, visit milfordregional.org or call (508) 422-2206.
5. Have an event you'd like to see featured in our 5 Things column? Upload the event directly to our site, send us the link, and we'll help you promote it! For more information on contributing directly to Milford Patch through our events and announcements sections, click here.